May 7, 2019 to May 10, 2019
Registration occurs on a first-come, first-served basis. Programs are open to general public. The deadline for registration is one week before the first day of the course. If you are unable to register before the deadline, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 301-496-7975 for space availability. NIH employees/fellows paying with the signed vendor copy of the SF-182 form, please email: email@example.com
Next generation sequencing technologies are producing enormous amount of sequencing data. Analyzing this massive amount of data requires the ability to use the sophisticated tools and techniques in the Unix platform. This course will introduce the participants to the skills needed to get started with their NGS data analysis journey.
Participants will start with general introduction to the NGS data analysis concepts, methods and tools, followed by a gentle biologist friendly Linux hands-on training. An NGS expert will then walk through:
- RNA-Seq analysis starting with QC, preprocessing, alignment, transcript quantification, differential expression and downstream analysis/visualization,
- DNA-Seq variant calling analysis with QC, alignment, variant calling, variant filtering and annotation,
- ChIP-Seq analysis with peak calling, peak annotation, motif analysis, and
- Integration of NGS data using Network analysis methods and tools.
● Participants will use a Graphic User Interface based Linux Desktop environment, specially configured for NGS data analysis in the Amazon Cloud
● Training provided by experienced active NIH researchers
● Cookbook style bound manual for all exercises
● Direct, after training support through exclusive forum membership
● Continuing Education Credits
Hands-on Skills/Tools taught:
Basic Linux Skills
Alignment: BWA, HISAT2
Transcript Quantification: StringTie
Differential Expression Analysis: BallGown
Visualization: Samtools, RStudio
Variant Calling: GATK
Variant Annotation: VEP
Peak Calling: MACS2
Motif Finding: MEME
Downstream Analysis: UCSC Table Browser, DAVID
Network Analysis: Cytoscape, STRING
Utilities: Picard, Samtools, Galaxy, BCFTools, AWS EC2
Who should attend:
- Researchers and academics who are interested in analysing and exploring the NGS data, like RNA-Seq, DNA-Seq and ChIP-Seq data.
- Clinicians who are interested in discovering novel biological regulatory mechanisms looking for potential diagnostic biomarkers and therapeutic uses.
- Biomedical students who are interested in pursuing research on transcriptomics, genotyping, epigenomics etc.
- Scientists in program administration interested in learning and understanding the latest methods and concepts in NGS data analysis.
Participants should be comfortable with basic computer skills
Related BioTech Courses:
General Training Rate*:
*10% discount available when 3 or more participants register together from the same organization.
Discounted Training Rates:
$595.00 - NIH Trainees (fellows, postdocs, postbacs - NIH ONLY)
$895.00 - NIH Community
$995.00 - Academia, Government, Military
Although no grades are given for courses, each participant will receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) based on the number of contact hours. One CEU is equal to ten contact hours. Upon completion of this course each participant will receive a certificate, showing completion of the workshop and 2.8 CEUs.
100% tuition refund or 100% full workshop credit is available for registrations cancelled 14 or more days prior to the start of the workshop.
50% tuition refund or 100% full workshop credit is available for registrations cancelled between 4 to 13 days prior to the start of the workshop.
0% refund, 100% full workshop credit is available for registrations cancelled 3 days or less prior to the start of the workshop.
All cancellations must be received in writing via email to Ms. Carline Coote at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellations received after hours are time marked for the following day.
In regards to a full or partial refund or a full workshop credit, you must indicate which option you are selecting at the time of your written cancellation.
All refund payments will be processed by the start of the initial workshop.
A special rate is available to all BioTech Workshop attendees. This includes complimentary continental breakfast, guest room Wi-Fi and discounted $15 parking per night. Hotel is within walking distance of the training facility Reservations can be made online, see below.