Frequently Asked Question’s
What are BioTech workshops?
BioTech workshops are lectures and laboratory based courses that examine current and upcoming processes and methodology that are used in life science research.
Who can attend these courses?
Current and future researchers, including undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, post-doctorate, MD and PhD level, would benefit from taking one of our hands-on training courses. Participants are usually active in the sciences and come from government, private industry and academic research institutions from around the United States and the world. The program is open to the general public.
How do I sign up for a course?
Signing up for a course is easy. Here is step-by-step instructions for registration.
- Go to our website www.faes.org
- At the bottom of the page , click on BioTech Training and Conferences
- On the left side bar, click on BioTech Calendar
- Click on the workshop that you want to register for
- Then click on the “Register Now!” tab
You may pay on our secured online platform which also gives you a confirmation email.
Where are the courses located?
The courses are offered in Building 60 which is located at the National Institute of Health’s headquarter in Bethesda, Maryland. The location is known as the “NIH campus” to the local community. For more information on the NIH campus, click on the map below.
Is there transportation available to the NIH campus?
Access to our campus is available through the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA) commonly called “the metro”.
Metrorail service is available from Washington's Ronald Reagan National Airport (Yellow line) and from Union Station (railway). Metro Red Line comes directly to the National Institute of Health’s campus. The station's escalators takes you up directly to the NIH campus. Take any of the NIH campus shuttle buses which provide service to Building 60 and stops at the Metro station every 15 to 20 minutes. You may go to the NIH campus site to find more information on transportation to and from the campus at: http://www.nih.gov/about/visitor/index.htm
I am not from the DC metro area. Where should I stay?
For those that are visiting, there are several places that offer accommodations ranging from luxury to economical. The area hotels are close to the NIH campus and some of them offer additional discounts to NIH patrons. A few of these hotels offer free shuttle service that will take you directly to building 60 on the NIH campus.
What if I signed up for a course but I cannot attend?
We understand that emergencies happen. If you sign up for a course and cannot attend it please note that,
1. 100% tuition refund is available for registrations cancelled 14 or more days prior to the start of the workshop.
2. 50% tuition refund is available for registrations cancelled between 4 to 13 days prior to the start of the workshop. Instead of a partial refund, you may elect to take a full workshop credit, which can be applied to another BioTech program of similar length.
3. No refund is available for registrations cancelled 3 days or less prior to the start of the workshop. However, a full workshop credit will be available to you, which can be applied to another BioTech program of similar length.
NOTE: All cancellations must be received in writing to Carline Coote, Registration Specialist at email@example.com during normal business hours (8:30 – 4:30 EST). Those received after hours are time marked for the following day. In the case of situation number 2 or 3, you must indicate whether you are opting for the full credit alternative at the time of written cancellation. In both cases, all payments will be processed by the start of the initial workshop.
Will I receive academic credit for the courses?
Each participant that takes a course will receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) based on the number of contact hours. Upon completion of a 5-day program, each participant will receive 3.5 CEUs. For 4 or 3-day workshops, 2.8 or 2.1 CEUs will be issued. Upon completion of each BioTech program, a certificate from FAES is issued.