March 9, 2021 to March 23, 2021
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
Registration occurs on a first-come, first-served basis. The deadline for registration is one week before the first day of the course. If you are unable to register before the deadline, please email: email@example.com or call 301-496-7977 for space availability.
NIH Fellows or NIH community members being sponsored by their lab and awaiting payment authorization can tentatively hold a seat using the “Reserve A Seat” option. FAES must receive payment within 7 business days after reserving a seat or 3 business days before the start of the workshop, which ever comes first. If payment is not received in this time frame, your reservation will be canceled.
This workshop will be held live on March 9, 16, 23, 2021 (5:30PM-8:00PM)
This workshop builds upon the principles of using R for data science by introducing intermediate concepts that will help learners advance their knowledge and use R for more complex tasks. These tasks include working with APIs and packages to access data on remote servers, iterating tasks over datasets, and writing custom functions. The workshop will include three two-hour sessions with the following learning objectives:
- After Session 1: Iteration, learners will be able to:
- Use the apply family to repeat functions over multiple data objects;
- Use if/else statements for conditional functions;
- Use case_when to vectorize multiple if/else statements;
- Use for loops to repeat functions.
- After Session 2: Intermediate Data Wrangling, learners will be able to:
- Understand how to use tidyverse “verbs” to wrangle data;
- Understand how and why to convert data from wide to long format;
- Summarize and transform data using tidyverse verbs.
- After Session 3: Custom Functions, learners will be able to:
- Understand when to create a custom function;
- Write custom functions to carry out complex tasks;
- Troubleshoot and debug functions.
BIOF 019 | Designing Effective Data Visualizations in R
Basic knowledge of coding in R
Simultaneous access to two screens is highly recommended for best learning experience. Examples include one computer with two screens, two computers, one laptop and one tablet, etc.
General Training Rate
Discounted Training Rate
$625.00 - NIH Community (Trainees, Employees, Contractors, Volunteers, etc.)
$695.00 - Academia, US Government (Non-NIH), US Military
Although no grades are given for courses, each participant will receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) based on the number of contact hours. One CEU is equal to ten contact hours. Upon completion of this course each participant will receive a certificate, showing completion of the workshop and 0.7 CEUs.
100% tuition refund for registrations cancelled 14 or more calendar days prior to the start of the workshop.
50% tuition refund for registrations cancelled between 4 to 13 calendar days prior to the start of the workshop.
No refund will be issued for registrations cancelled 3 calendar days or less prior to the start of the workshop.
All cancellations must be received in writing via email to Ms. Carline Coote at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellations received after 4:00 pm (ET) on business days or received on non-business days are time marked for the following business day.
All refund payments will be processed by the start of the initial workshop.