February 26, 2020 to February 27, 2020
Registration occurs on a first-come, first-served basis. The deadline for registration is one week before the first day of the course. If you are unable to register before the deadline, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org call 301-496-7977 for space availability.
NIH Only: Payment approval and authorization is done through your AO or lab manager. Receiving lab approval does not constitute enrollment. Fellows or those being sponsored by their lab can enroll using the Contract: SF- 182 form while waiting for authorization of payment.
Cloud offers computers with hundreds of cores and terabytes of memory, on a hourly basis, for a mere couple of dollars and on-demand, for anyone who can use a computer and internet. This democratizes the high performance computing that everybody can use.
Participants will create personal cloud computing accounts, instances (renting and using a windows machine and linux machine), set security, configure storage, create snapshots, create clusters, images, access instances and perform routine tasks.
- Participants will be provided with step-by-step walk through instructions to set up, configure, secure, monitor and access computing resources rented in public cloud infrastructures.
- Training provided by active NIH researchers
- Cookbook style bound manual for all exercises
- Continuing Education Credits
Participants should be comfortable with basic computer skills.
Who should attend
- Anyone (including researchers, academics, clinicians and students) who is looking to free themselves from not being able to use the latest software just because they don't have access to a personal windows or a linux machine.
- Anyone (including researchers, academics, clinicians and students) who is facing issues with hardware limitations (not having access to a powerful machine to handle their large data or a compute intensive task).
- Anyone (including researchers, academics, clinicians and students) who would like to perform computations on an on-demand hourly basis, for pennies, cents or dollars per hour, using any popular operating system, from anywhere in the world.
- Scientists in program administrators interested in learning the standard tools, techniques and concepts in cloud computing.
Hands-on Skills/Tools taught/demonstrated
Cloud platform: Amazon Web Services (AWS)
Cloud platform: Google Cloud Platform
Cloud platform: Azure - Microsoft Cloud Platform
Computing: AWS Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2)
Computing: Secure Shell, Secure File Transfer (SSH/SFTP)
Computing: AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM)
Computing: AWS GPU, CPU, Cluster
Pricing: On-demand, spot, reserved
Storage: AWS Simple Storage Service (S3)
Storage: AWS Elastic Block Store (EBS)
Storage: AWS Volumes, Snapshots, Amazon Machine Images (AMI)
BigData: Hadoop, MapReduce, DynamoDB
Contains all notes, protocols, and reference material needed. No additional books are required.
Although no grades are given for courses, each participant will receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) based on the number of contact hours. One CEU is equal to ten contact hours. Upon completion of the course each participant will receive a certificate, showing completion of the workshop and 2.1 CEUs.
100% tuition refund for registrations cancelled 14 or more days prior to the start of the workshop.
50% tuition refund for registrations cancelled between 4 to 13 days prior to the start of the workshop.
No refund will be issued for registrations cancelled 3 days or less prior to the start of the workshop.
All cancellations must be received in writing via email to Ms. Carline Coote at email@example.com.
Cancellations received after hours are time marked for the following day.
All refund payments will be processed by the start of the initial workshop.
A special rate is available to all workshop attendees. This includes complimentary buffet breakfast, guest room Wi-Fi, and discounted $15 parking per night. The hotel provides complimentary shuttle service to/from the NIH campus. The hotel is also within walking distance of the training facility. Reservations can be made online, see below.