February 9, 2021 to February 23, 2021
REGISTRATION IS CLOSED.
Registration occurs on a first-come, first-served basis. The deadline for registration is one week before the first day of the course. If you are unable to register before the deadline, please email: email@example.com or call 301-496-7977 for space availability.
NIH Fellows or NIH community members being sponsored by their lab and awaiting payment authorization can tentatively hold a seat using the “Reserve A Seat” option. FAES must receive payment within 7 business days after reserving a seat or 3 business days before the start of the workshop, which ever comes first. If payment is not received in this time frame, your reservation will be canceled.
This workshop will be held live on February 9, 16, 23, 2021 (5:30PM-8:00PM)
In this workshop, learners will learn the basics of how to use R to wrangle data, create visualizations, and conduct exploratory analyses. The workshop will use the popular “tidyverse” suite of packages and will also teach learners the concept of tidy data and how it facilitates analysis. The workshop will include three two-hour sessions with the following learning objectives:
- After Session 1: Data Wrangling, learners will be able to:
- Use RStudio and the tidyverse suite of packages to load and work with datasets;
- Describe what makes data “tidy,” why tidy data is useful to work with, and how to make datasets tidy;
- Transform data to prepare it for visualization and analysis.
- After Session 2: Data Visualization, learners will be able to:
- Describe the “Grammar of Graphics” philosophy that underlies the ggplot2 visualization package;
- Create visualizations including barplots, scatterplots, line graphs, and more using ggplot2;
- Customize all aspects of visualizations;
- Save and export visualizations for print, submission to journals, and other applications.
- After Session 3: Exploratory Data Analysis, learners will be able to:
- Use visualizations to explore and identify patterns in data;
- Identify and handle missing data;
- Identify covariation in variables;
- Build simple linear models to identify relationships between variables.
Basic computer literacy
General Training Rate
Discounted Training Rate
$625.00 - NIH Community (Trainees, Employees, Contractors, Volunteers, etc.)
$695.00 - Academia, US Government (Non-NIH), US Military
Although no grades are given for courses, each participant will receive Continuing Education Units (CEUs) based on the number of contact hours. One CEU is equal to ten contact hours. Upon completion of this course each participant will receive a certificate, showing completion of the workshop and 0.7 CEUs.
100% tuition refund for registrations cancelled 14 or more calendar days prior to the start of the workshop.
50% tuition refund for registrations cancelled between 4 to 13 calendar days prior to the start of the workshop.
No refund will be issued for registrations cancelled 3 calendar days or less prior to the start of the workshop.
All cancellations must be received in writing via email to Ms. Carline Coote at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cancellations received after 4:00 pm (ET) on business days or received on non-business days are time marked for the following business day.
All refund payments will be processed by the start of the initial workshop.